The Emmys aren’t my favorite awards show, the winners are always (and often unfortunately) predictable, and this year’s ceremony didn’t do anything to change that impression. At least this year’s theme didn’t seem to be Death – so that’s one improvement over last year.
1. I will keep saying this every year until the Academy changes: Modern. Family. Doesn’t. Need. Any. More. Emmys.
Though it is sort of fitting that Jay Leno presented it.
2. I never watched Breaking Bad and I’m OK with them winning everything based on the fact that everyone I love seems to be obsessed with it, and the fact that the cast seems to love each other to an adorable degree:
3. Jimmy Kimmel’s bit with Matthew McConauhey was hilarious (and true) – I was expecting another MM speech and am kind of glad I didn’t have to translate one by that point in the night – you can watch it here. I also loved the fact that MM and Woody Harrelson were each in jewel toned tuxes:
4. It was a great night for Northwestern women. Anna Gunn won, and continued the Breaking Bad lovefest, while Julia Louis-Dreyfuss scored the best moment of the night with Bryan Cranston:
5. Speaking of Northwestern, Seth Meyers was his usual self. Perfectly affable, able, and not very exciting. Pretty much like the Emmys.
The dresses this year were way more exciting than I was expecting though: